Sunday, October 11, 2009

How do I remove old delinquencies from my credit report?

I just read about the Fair Credit Reporting Act and how delinquencies that are older than 7 years should not be on my report. But there are several that are 8, 9, 10 years old that are still on my report. How can I get these items removed? I was shocked to find them on there because I didn't think they were on there anymore or still affecting my credit score, but they are.

How do I remove old delinquencies from my credit report?
If they are negative accounts that are only supposed to report for 7 years, file disputes as obsolete with each CRA they are reporting to and demand that they be removed.





If the accounts are verified, send letters to whoever verified the re-aged accounts and demand that they delete them.


Then re-dispute with the CRA's.





If the accounts are verified again, file complaints with the BBB, FTC, your AG and the data furnishers AG.


Re-dispute with the CRA's and include a copy of your FTC complaint.





Send everything to the creditor/collector certified mail return receipt.


Send everything to the CRA's certified.


You can file your complaints online, but if you send them by mail, send them certified


(create a papertrail)





If they continue to violate and you have your papertrail established, you might consider suing.
Reply:Call the companies who listed you in the first place and ask them to remove their names from your credit report.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive